The Jeffrey MacDonald Discussion Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

7/11/2023 6:21 pm  #1

Does this change things for MacDonald?

(CNN) —“Leslie Van Houten, a former Charles Manson follower and convicted murderer, was released from a California prison on Tuesday, a prison spokesperson told CNN. “

I personally never thought I would see any of the key Manson people released. Many have shared that opinion. Will this give MacDonald hope and spur him to seek parole again? Or has he given up?  He is six years older than Van Houten. Is the Federal system more or less forgiving than the states? Could he mount a successful parole request at this late date?

Reading about Van Houten, I realized that much that is true for her, is true for MacDonald; no familiarity with the many retail chains that exist today (including restaurants), atm(s), debit cards, cell phones, streaming tv and movies, IMAX, smart tv(s), smart cars, etc. It is a world that neither she, or he, knows or understands.

So, anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks.

Van Houten is the opposite of MacDonald. She claimed responsibility for the crimes, including for some she didn’t commit. She testified Manson wasn’t involved. MacDonald has continued to claim innocence and blamed everyone else (the hippies).

7/12/2023 4:46 am  #2

Re: Does this change things for MacDonald?

Well Texas Poet, I was disappointed to hear of the release of Leslie Van Houten and it is my hope that

JRM never sees the light of day. However, IF he does, he will be more miserable than he is now. What 

would he do?  He has been in prison for so long that living on the outside would be like living in The Twilight Zone. 

7/12/2023 8:18 am  #3

OneWhoCares wrote:

Well Texas Poet, I was disappointed to hear of the release of Leslie Van Houten and it is my hope that

JRM never sees the light of day. However, IF he does, he will be more miserable than he is now. What 

would he do?  He has been in prison for so long that living on the outside would be like living in The Twilight Zone. 

Well said OWC. I agree with you completely.

7/13/2023 2:02 pm  #4

I don't think it changes a thing.

Van Houten and MacDonald have reponded to their crimes in the most diametrically opposite way one could imagine.

While I would have been content if Van Houten had stayed in prison, she's done everything one could have asked.  She owned her crimes.  Seems legitimately sorry.  Appologized for them.  And took about every class and training she could have.  Hard to see if she'd truly eligible for parole, why she's been freed after all that.  

MacDonald still lies about committing the crime.  That is why I get so angry at folks that say, "if he would just admit what he did they'd let him out tomorrow, so he must be innocent."  Nonsense.  You can't lie about this for 45 years, then stop on a dime, change your mind and skip out of prison.

No, I think he's there to stay.

Last edited by Spifflog (7/13/2023 2:03 pm)

7/13/2023 3:11 pm  #5

FYI  Van Houten was able to get out because she was able to meet the conditions of her release. One have a place to live and two a job. John Waters is providing both. He's been writing and visting her for years. I do not like the fact that Van Houten will be relocating to MD. The Inmate has no such "champion" and could not get a job anywhere. Housing yes with Mrs. Inmate.

7/13/2023 9:56 pm  #6

Hi all, I was very opposed to Van Houten getting released, only in screwed up California, where you can steal $999 worth of stuff from a store and get a ticket.  Don't forget the is the same parole board that wanted to free Sirhan Sirhan.  It's why I support the death penalty, let's put parole granted on their grave marker.

7/14/2023 9:26 am  #7

Great posts everyone. Well said.

I don’t know MacDonald’s mental or emotional state, but based on his past behaviors, I have to believe that if he has seen the news about Van Houten he is trying to figure out a spin to get himself released. Press conference? Would anyone come? New Parole Board hearing to claim more “factual innocence”, he has a home waiting, and he can get a job? 

He’s 79 years old and the clock is ticking. . . . . . !

Anyone know if he is sicker?

7/14/2023 9:27 am  #8

Tim2020 wrote:

Hi all, I was very opposed to Van Houten getting released, only in screwed up California, where you can steal $999 worth of stuff from a store and get a ticket.  Don't forget the is the same parole board that wanted to free Sirhan Sirhan.  It's why I support the death penalty, let's put parole granted on their grave marker.

California is a different world.

7/16/2023 2:34 pm  #9

Leslie Van Houten's release was based on the decision of a California court granting her petition for writ of habeas corpus.  The state parole board had recommended her for parole multiple times, but Governors Brown and Newsome each denied her release.  

MacDonald is incarcerated in the federal system and, IIRC, has refused to participate in the parole process.  Short of trying a similar federal habeas writ, Van Houten's status has no impact on his.

7/16/2023 6:40 pm  #10

kma367 wrote:

Leslie Van Houten's release was based on the decision of a California court granting her petition for writ of habeas corpus.  The state parole board had recommended her for parole multiple times, but Governors Brown and Newsome each denied her release.  

MacDonald is incarcerated in the federal system and, IIRC, has refused to participate in the parole process.  Short of trying a similar federal habeas writ, Van Houten's status has no impact on his.

I know what you stated is true. What I was wondering is if Van Houten’s case might stimulate MacDonald to try for  review by the parole board again? Or something else. He has been (for him) strangely quiet.

Board footera