The Jeffrey MacDonald Discussion Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

8/13/2022 7:12 am  #1

Jay MacDonald

I guess I’m kind of late to the party, but I’ve got a question.

According to the FV book (and the movie), Jay Macdonald testified at the grand jury hearing, but I haven’t found any transcripts of his testimony anywhere.

Does anyone know why this is?  Whatever happened to Jay?

Thanks!

8/13/2022 8:41 am  #2

Re: Jay MacDonald

I am not sure where you might find that as I do not have time to research it now But

I know what inmate had to say about his brother, "During the 1974 grand jury proceeding, MacDonald testified that with regard to his brother Jay, "when I questioned him it was apparent that he had been speeding--taking amphetamines--for a long time that I hadn't been aware of." MacDonald also said "It never occurred to me that my brother would be taking amphetamines."

James B MacDonald now lives in an assisted care facility in California and prefers

to be called "James" as opposed to "Jay"/.  I believe he now knows his brother is

guilty and want to distance himself from the convicted killer. 

9/20/2022 12:44 pm  #3

OneWhoCares wrote:

I am not sure where you might find that as I do not have time to research it now But

I know what inmate had to say about his brother, "During the 1974 grand jury proceeding, MacDonald testified that with regard to his brother Jay, "when I questioned him it was apparent that he had been speeding--taking amphetamines--for a long time that I hadn't been aware of." MacDonald also said "It never occurred to me that my brother would be taking amphetamines."

James B MacDonald now lives in an assisted care facility in California and prefers

to be called "James" as opposed to "Jay"/.  I believe he now knows his brother is

guilty and want to distance himself from the convicted killer. 

Good for him!  I hope he has a peaceful rest of his life!

11/22/2022 6:54 pm  #4

Hello all.  It's been a long time since I posted here.  Glad to see it is still active!

Question: I've been plugging geneology info into Find A Grave.  This site lists James (fka Jay) as having passed away in 2019).

Can anyone confirm this, or that he hasn't passed away?

11/22/2022 8:40 pm  #5

Gwyka - In Sept OWC said James was living in an assisted care facility in California. 
OWC always has accurate info on this case.

11/23/2022 7:31 pm  #6

Grandfather wrote:

Gwyka - In Sept OWC said James was living in an assisted care facility in California. 
OWC always has accurate info on this case.

Yes, OWC is very good and exceptionally accurate.

All I’ve ever found on Jay was that he did six months in a psychiatric hospital for threatening U.S. Attorney General and head of FBI in 1984.

https://www.upi.com/amp/Archives/1984/06/28/James-B-MacDonald-brother-of-Green-Beret-Dr-Jeffrey/1092457243200/

11/24/2022 12:31 pm  #7

Thanks TP, good article.  If James was 42 in 1984 he would be 80 now.
James has struggled with mental illness for decades. Joe mentioned in his book that shortly after the murders in 1970 he was hospitalized and his mother had to take time to deal with that crisis.
I believe James is another victim of JRM, because the tragedy of Feb 17, 1970 may have pushed James over the edge. And then years of his family living a lie (that JRM is an innocent victim) took its toll on James. He had a natural instinct to want to protect his brother, and this caused him stress because he felt the government was persecuting him. And JRM's sister as well. I heard she struggled with alcoholism and died relatively young.  And JRM's mother as well. They were not affected  as much as Freddy and Mildred and Colette's brother, who  were devastated.
But the MacDonald family was affected by this.  They might have prospered and lived very much better lives if the murders had never happened.
James was popular in high school, like JRM was. Successful football player. In the family photos you can see he is a physical presence. Very fit and strong young man.
Sad to think his life was interrupted and never got back to normal.

11/24/2022 12:47 pm  #8

Thank you all for the kind words and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. 

I am not sure how Jay is doing in these recent months, but I can tell you this;

both Jay and inmate's sister Judy came to know that their brother was GUILTY.  Poor Judy is deceased but

she knew the truth BEFORE she died. 

11/24/2022 7:06 pm  #9

OneWhoCares wrote:

Thank you all for the kind words and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. 

I am not sure how Jay is doing in these recent months, but I can tell you this;

both Jay and inmate's sister Judy came to know that their brother was GUILTY.  Poor Judy is deceased but

she knew the truth BEFORE she died. 

Grandfather; Thanks. Yes, Jeffrey MacDonald destroyed two families. I don’t believe his troubles are over when he leaves this life.

OWC; I think everyone knows the truth, even his current wife.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone. Be safe and well. God bless.

10/14/2023 2:10 pm  #10

Board footera